It’s that time of the year again! Yep, Black Friday is almost upon us. While it’s one of the most anticipated days of the year for some, I’m not that excited. It’s almost strange to say that because I love a good bargain. But throw in a crazy crowd of people and I’m out of there.
Years ago, I used to love Black Friday. In fact, there was one year I headed to the mall right after Thanksgiving dinner to try to beat the crowds (to my surprise, it was plenty crowded already!). But the more I think about it, the more I realize how crazy it all is. While some deals are great, we can tend to get all worked up over nothing. We rush into stores in the wee hours of the morning to spend our money on things we don’t really need.
Instead of joining the madness this year, I’m planning on spending my time in a more meaningful and/or fun way. And you should join me in doing the same! Here’s a list of 20 things to do that are better than shopping on Black Friday:
- Start decorating your Christmas tree
- Go to the movies
- Play board games with family
- Read a new book
- Organize and declutter your home
- Go for a hike and enjoy the outdoors
- Try a new recipe (include your leftovers!)
- Binge watch a new show on Netflix
- Volunteer your time for a good cause
- Start a new blog (or spruce up your existing one)
- Sell things you don’t need on eBay
- Grab some drinks with friends
- Try a new workout class
- Start writing your holiday cards
- Spend countless hours on YouTube
- Watch football
- Visit a museum
- Lounge around with your kids, pets, family, etc.
- Start planning your goals for 2016
Now that you have some new ideas, what are your plans for Black Friday 2015?