I always seem to be apartment, condo, or house hunting. Since we have a very flexible lease on our current place, we’re always considering our options, whether it’s renting or buying. If we somehow came upon a great deal in the NYC area and are able to snatch it up, we’d be ready to move in a heartbeat.
However, looking at available apartments in NYC is getting more and more depressing. It would be amazing if we could find a 1 bedroom or large studio near transportation and below $1800 a month (or even $2000 a month!) but that really doesn’t look like a reality unless we want to live really far away from the subway, in a closet, or all the way uptown. Don’t believe me? Here’s my compilation of the less-than-appealing places I’ve come across lately.
1. $1830/ month: Studio on the Upper East Side – Paying almost $2k a month won’t even get you a proper bathroom. This sink doesn’t look like it retains water very well…
2. $1100 / month: 1 bedroom in 2 bedroom apartment on the Upper East Side – For $1100, you can share a 2 bedroom apartment with a stranger. Also, your room would probably only be able to fit you and a twin bed.
3. $1775 / month: 1 bedroom in Washington Heights – For about $1800, you could have no counter space. Unclear whether you get a fridge either.
4. $1995 / month: studio in the East Village – You can live in the East Village for $2k. However, you’ll only get 350 sq. ft….so basically everything you see in this picture.
5. $1900 / month: 1 bedroom in Midtown West – You can be in the middle of it all for $1900! However, you only get 200 sq. ft. and the bathtub is out in the middle of the apartment.
Remind me why I love NYC again?