In April, I hit my 6-month mark as a freelance writer.
I have multiple streams of extra income (from managing online communities to critiquing resumes) but I thought it would be interesting to break out writing from my total income and see how much I’m really bringing in through that channel.
And to my surprise, I realized that I recently surpassed $6,000 in freelance writing income since I started.
I keep close tabs on my extra income so I’m not really sure why I was surprised when I saw that number. It’s definitely a good surprise so I will give myself a little pat on the back 🙂
A lot has definitely changed since I first started and freelance writing has opened up a whole world of opportunities to me. Did I ever think I would be able to make income as a freelance writer? Definitely no. But here I am, $6K later. Here are my takeaways so far:
- While I do enjoy to write, I’m not a particularly good writer. I never thought anyone would want to read my writing, let alone pay me for it.
- I started off taking writing jobs about anything and everything. While it was nice just to have a gig, some of those jobs took me a LONG time because I had no clue what I was writing about. From now on, I’m trying to pick a niche or two and stick to it.
- In my first month of freelance writing, I made a measly $80. I steadily increased month of month. However, I’ve seem to stalled. Getting past $1k a month is a struggle.
- I started off looking for jobs on Elance and I was actually very successful. However, as a writer, I think I’ve outgrown that. I’ve starting to put myself out there by personally reaching out to people. It’s taking me some time to make any progress but I think I’ll get there (hit me up if you need a writer! 🙂 )
- While I do enjoy what I do for the most, there are some days where it’s painful just to put a blog post together. I’m finding it more and more difficult to motivate myself after a full days work.
So where do I go from here? I like to reassess my goals every month or two, right now they are:
- I want to further explore other ways to make extra income. As I mentioned, writing isn’t my only stream of extra income. I work in eCommerce at my full time gig and am trying to parlay that into my freelance work as a digital strategist and content manager. It’s been a hit or miss in terms of finding these types of gigs but I think there’s a need out there.
- I want to grow this blog. This blog is essentially my portfolio of writing examples and while I don’t really monetize it, I’ve made a lot of connections through it. I also love to go back and read my post from last year or even last month and see how much I’ve grown as a writer.
- My goal is to double my extra income within the next 3 months. I’m hoping that I can increase it enough so that I can cover my expenses and have a little buffer…which will then allow me to leave my full time job and take an extended (working) vacation, like I’ve always wanted. It’s certainly a big goal and definitely life changing but I think it’s totally realistic.
And there you have it! I’ve made a lot of progress in a few short months but I know there is a lot more I can do. Ready for the challenge!